[Samba] realmd and net rpc privileges

Sebastian Gabler sequoiamobil at gmx.net
Thu Apr 30 16:22:29 MDT 2015

Am 30.04.2015 um 18:23 schrieb Sebastian Gabler:
> Am 30.04.2015 um 10:13 schrieb Rowland Penny:
>> On 30/04/15 09:05, Sebastian Gabler wrote:
>>> There is something to add. Listing existing rights (any rights that
>>> is, thus using the current, root, user) fails with the same problem:
>>>
>>> # net rpc rights list
>>> Enter root's password:
>>> Could not connect to server 127.0.0.1
>>> The username or password was not correct.
>>> Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>>>
>>> I conclude of that net cannot authenticate at all for this purpose,
>>> and the first step would be to solve that. The question is: How?
>>>
>>> Br
>>>
>>> Sebastian

>> You need to map root to Administrator, add this line to smb.conf:
>> username map = /etc/samba/user.map
>>
>> Then create the map file, it is just one line:
>>
>> !root = EXAMPLE\Administrator Administrator administrator
>>
>> Change 'EXAMPLE' for your workgroup name.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> Thanks for the hints.
>
> You may want to note that 'username map' is already in my conf, line 4
> from the top of the global section. Content of the map file is "!root =
> administrator at mydomain.local Administrator administrator" . The syntax
> for the domain admin user follows the one suggested by realmd, that is
> user at domain.local.
>
> That is, to my understanding I already did what you suggest, and said so
> in my original message.
>
> Not sure about 3 things:
>
> 1. why would authentication of net rpc fail against the local root user
> on the local machine? Why does it even ask for the pasword anyhow when I
> run it as root? That is, irrespective of any user maps, not making any
> sense to me.
> 2. Where does the 'Workgroup\Administrator syntax you are suggesting
> coming from? I am joined to a domain - how would this matter?
> 3. Not sure I mentioned it earlier, but: I can indeed change Ownership
> of folders, ACLs and permissions from Windows as Domain Admin. What
> doesn't work is creating new shares from Computer Administration
> console, and change share ownership to other users from there.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sebastian

Solved. What was missing was the workgroup directive. My mistake. It's
mentioned here: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php
/Setup_a_Samba_AD_Member_Server

Wrong hint:
- '-S' option. The privilege is set on the local member machine, not
remote. Thus, the password of SAMDOM\Administrator is the mapped (root) pw.

Thanks anyways for the hints.

Sebastian