[Samba] Cannot authenticate the administrator account

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Wed Apr 29 14:12:11 MDT 2015

Greetings, Sketch!

>>> Looks that way to me.  Your realm should include the workgroup name:
>>> INTERNAL.EXAMPLE.COM.
>>
>> Nothing is "SHOULD" as long as the settings follow basic requirements
>> (single-label NETBIOS domain name, resolvable REALM name).
>> I.e. I have domains provisioned with "ADS.<netbios domain name>.<tld>"
>> All works fine, given correct DNS configuration.

> Netbios name is basically irrelevant here.

NETBIOS HOST name? Irrelevant. NETBIOS DOMAIN name? Not quite.

> Do you mean that the realm
> name does not have to match the workgroup name?

There's no such requirement. AD domain is resolved from NETBIOS multicast or
from domain suffix provided by DHCP or configured in system settings.
But the end result is that the system receive correct DNS name once and then
work out from that purely through DNS.
I can show you examples of systems working from both premises in the same
domain.

P.S.
Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed to the list.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...