[Samba] Change user SID on Samba 4.1

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Apr 28 05:07:28 MDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-28 at 11:27 +0200, Daniel Carrasco Marín wrote:
> Hi, Is there any way to change the SID of an user on Samba 4.1?. I've tried:
>
> pdbedit -U newSID -u user
> pdbedit -u user -U newSID
> pdbedit --'user SID'=newSID -u user
>
> but it shows the user infor without change anything.

Changing a user's sid is a really bad idea, so in the AD DC (at least)
is is made quite difficult.

In particular, it is critical that it remain unique, and be removed from
the RID pool.  When we do a classicupgrade, we take care to ensure all
RID pools start above the users we import.  That is really the only time
it is safe to force a RID.

Why do you need to change it?