[Samba] [Samba4] List of Distro currently with 4.2.X samba package

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 22:11:07 MDT 2015

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Mario Pio Russo
<mariopiorusso at ie.ibm.com> wrote:
> Good Day All
>
> we have are planning to upgrade our samba 3 PDC to a new samba 4 AD-DC. We
> want to go directly to Samba 4.2.X because we must have the "user account
> password lockout" feature.
>
> Also for internal policy we cannot compile the source tarball for a prod
> environment. so my question is: do you know which distros currently provide
> their own pacakge samba4.2.0 ? Ubutu server, Cent0S, RedHat  do not ship it
> yet, any other idea?

CentOS and RHEL are not going to get it for some time, unless RHEL
decides to assemble a "samba42" package in their "exras" repositories.
They'll be staying at 4.1.x for stability's sake. Fedora 22 release
candidate has samba-4.2.0, but that's not a development OS, not a
production stable OS.

I personally publish hooks and patches to get Samba 4.2.x compiled as
RPM's on RHEL 7 and Fedora 21, at github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/.
You're certainly welcome to them. But if you need a pre-built binary,
for now, you'll need to decide if you want a full domain controller or
not. The RHEL/CentOS/Fedora builds disable that, by default, in order
to use the operating systems's incompatible Kerberos.

I've not been using the sernet packages, partially because I *loathe*
having to register to download an open source or freeware package,
partly because I've been building Samba for.... well almost 20 years.