[Samba] How do you join a Linux mailserver to a Samba domain?

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Fri Apr 24 12:07:05 MDT 2015

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015, Steve Ankeny wrote:

> It looks like I need the Schema Master and RID Master roles installed on my
> Samba AD DC
>
> How do I get those roles installed and/or how do I expand the Samba AD
> schema?  I'll search the Wiki

If you only have one AD DC, then they are already on your DC and there is
no other place the FSMO roles could be.  Installed is not the term I would
use, they are not like schema updates.  They are just services which are
required in an AD network, and any AD DC can (and must be able to) perform
any of them.  Just that only one of them can hold that particular role at
any given tome, so one is considered a master.  They are explained in more
detail here (it also tells you how to see which DC holds each role):

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Flexible_Single-Master_Operations_(FSMO)_roles#The_five_FSMO_roles

There is a wiki page on extensions, though there's not much detail there:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_Schema_Extenstions

For the most part, things are no different than schema extensions on a
Windows DC.  Except you need to use different tools to apply them if you
want to do it by CLI on the server. (You should be able to use the Windows
MMC tools against a Samba server just like you would against a Windows DC).