[Samba] Internal DNS strangeness in 4.1.16

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Fri Apr 24 04:45:57 MDT 2015

El 27/02/15 a les 17:55, Greg Dickie ha escrit:

> 1) I’m using on commit, etc triggers in the dhcpd config to call a script that calls samba-tool to add, delete or update DNS. This script works fine when I call it from the command line as the dhcpd user but when called from the dhcpd daemon it throws a WERR_INTERNAL_DB_ERROR which is scary. That is coming from the client I guess. What is the best way to figure out what is going on server side. I increased the log level but I get crazy amounts of info that does not seem relevant.

Sorry for rehashing an old thread, but I found it while looking for a
solution to the same problem *and* I also found a solution (or, at
least, a workaround), so I hope that somebody looking for the same
problem will also find this solution.

I'm supposing you're using the scripts from here:


To avoid the WERR_INTERNAL_DB_ERROR I had to add a

export USER

to the script in /etc/dhcp/update.sh

(this is the path for ubuntu 14.04, instead of the /etc/dhcpd one for arch)

Since ubuntu 14.04 uses apparmor, I also added a the line

/etc/dhcp/update.sh Uxr,

to /etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.sbin.dhcpd

and put KRB5CC in /tmp instead of /run (where the dhcpd user cannot write).

BTW samba-tool seems to ignore the -k option altogether (it uses
kerberos if it can or asks for a password if it cannot, regardless of
the presence or not of the -k option)

Luca Olivetti
Wetron Automation Technology http://www.wetron.es
Tel. +34 935883004  Fax +34 935883007

More information about the samba mailing list