[Samba] smbclient: tree connect failed, but smbclient -L succeeds

Lindsay Morris lindsay at tsmworks.com
Thu Apr 23 19:54:58 MDT 2015

I can successfully run a list command with -L :

> smbclient -A ~/.smbauth -L //172.21.4.45

I get a nice list of shares including C$

But a connect command like this one fails:

> smbclient -A ~/.smbauth  //172.21.4.45/C$

I get

> Domain=[MC] OS=[Windows Server 2003 3790 Service Pack 2] Server=[Windows
> Server 2003 5.2]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED"

So I used Remote-Desktop to that IP address.
I got a challenge screen saying

The identity of this remote computer cannot be verified...
... this problem can occur if the remote computer is running a version of
Windows that is earlier than Windows Vista, or if the remote computer is
not configured to support server authentication."

I then say "Yes, continue" and am logged on successfully.

Is my can't-connect problem caused by the "identity cannot be verified"
issue? or is that irrelevant?

Would I be better served using some different form of authentication, like
Kerberos?

Thanks in advance.

Lindsay Morris
CEO, TSMworks