[Samba] How do you join a Linux mailserver to a Samba domain?

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Thu Apr 23 16:10:43 MDT 2015

Greetings, Steve Ankeny!

> I'm running Samba 4.1.6, Ubuntu 14.04 with Dovecot, Postfix & SOGo

> When I try to connect to the mailserver via Thunderbird, it gives me a
> specific error --

> Unable to open the summary file for Inbox. Perhaps there was an error on
> disc, or the full path is too long.

> I've looked at (and reset) file permissions on the local drive where
> mail is stored but not the mailserver, and I'm wondering whether the
> mailserver needs to be identified in Samba somewhere (AD MMC)

I'm not entirely sure you can do it with 14.04. Last I check it lacks
necessary packages. But here's the list of things you need:
1. Samba server joined AD.
2. Correctly set IDMAP on the server.
3. libnss-winbind and libpam-winbind
4. getent passwd <username> should return AD users proper.
5. Dovecot using PAM auth.

Given 1-4 working proper, p.5:

# doveconf -n
# 2.0.19: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.13.0-49-generic i686 Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_privileged_group = mail
mbox_write_locks = fcntl dotlock
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = pop3 imap
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

Works like a charm for me.