[Samba] RFC2307 attributes not being read by DC2 in 4.2.1

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 23 10:46:10 MDT 2015

On 23/04/15 17:33, Miguel Medalha wrote:
>> with a samba 4.2.1 AD DC you automatically use the separate 'winbindd'
>> deamon and the 'winbind' deamon built into the samba daemon should be
>> ignored. There is no way that I know to 'disable' the winbind built into
>> samba, but there is a way to turn it on and turn off 'winbindd', which
>> is the way I suggested.
>>
> The Samba 4.2 release notes contains the following:
>
> If required the old internal winbind can be activated by setting
> 'server services = +winbind -winbindd'.  Upgrading users with a server
> services parameter specified should ensure they change 'winbind' to
> 'winbindd' to obtain the new functionality.
>
> So what I was proposing was the equivalent (-winbind +winbindd) of the
> inversion of this parameter and see what happens.
> Since you are admitting this can be a bug in Samba, why not a bug in the
> turning the winbind types on and off?
>
> Maybe I am very wrong, but I only wanted to help with something that is
> very easy to test.

Hi Miguel,

What I was proposing was something to try and find out if there is a
problem that can be cured by using the builtin 'winbind'. The OP is
using bind9 instead of the internal dns server, so his smb.conf has a
'server services' line and changing 'winbindd' in that line to 'winbind'
is the same as what you have posted.

Rowland