[Samba] sernet = dead?

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Tue Apr 21 09:03:54 MDT 2015

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Rowland Penny wrote:

> On 21/04/15 09:17, Peter Grotz - Obel und Partner GbR wrote:
>>
>>  samba 4.2 is released for some time now. Sernet usually doesn´t take a lot
>>  of time to release their new packages.
>
> I tried to update the available debian jessie samba packages to 4.2 and
> failed big time, it seems that you require updated dependencies that don't
> yet exist in sid, let alone jessie. This is probably the problem that Sernet
> are hitting.

Yep.  4.2 is a major new release, it's bound to take longer to package
properly for all systems.  They may not want to release 4.2 only for some
systems until it works on every distribution they support.

It's also possible they consider a .0 release not ready for enterprise
use.  They may be waiting a couple of versions to make sure all of the
early issues are ironed out.