[Samba] Interactively provision new domain

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Mon Apr 20 13:02:01 MDT 2015

Greetings, Mike!

> Operating System:     CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
> CPE OS Name:         cpe:/o:centos:centos:7
> Kernel:                      Linux 3.10.0-229.1.2.el7.x86_64
> Architecture:              x86_64
> Samba:                     Version 4.1.17-SerNet-RedHat-11.el7

> I will choose server role: dc and dns: SAMBA_INTERNAL

> Please assume the following for my question - - - I purchased/own/control
> FQDN: mammal.com

> Question --

> If server hostname reports Static hostname: human.mammal.com

> Are the following provision answers correct?

> Realm:   human.mammal.com
> Domain:   human

I would strongly advise against creating REALM matching existing host names.
That's a lot of confusion for domain operators.
In my case, I choose

netbios name = dc1
realm = ADS.EXAMPLE.COM
domain = EXAMPLE

Do note capitalization. It is important in certain places. I.e. in Kerberos
configuration.

Also Rowland's advice have some merit. Not a lot, but you should really
consider, if you DO want your domain records to be accessible publicly.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...