[Samba] Question about domain name with BIND9_DLZ

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 18 06:31:24 MDT 2015

On 18/04/15 13:03, Daniel Carrasco Marín wrote:
> Thanks for you answer.
>
> My OS are Debian 7u8 as server, and Windows 7 as client.

If you enable wheezy backports, you can install bind9.9.5 and will not
have to compile it yourself.

> I'm doing the test on virtual machines and the dhcp server is a simple
> router. Anyway i'm using a static IP:
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.1.100
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.1.0
>         broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         gateway 192.168.1.1
>         dns-nameservers 192.168.1.100 8.8.8.8
>         dns-search home.red

Yes, but what are the windows clients being given by dhcp ?

> and /etc/resolv.conf
> domain HOME
> search HOME
> nameserver 192.168.1.100
> nameserver 8.8.8.8

And there is one of of your problems (well several actually)
remove the domain line, 'domain' & 'search' are mutually exclusive in
resolv.conf, the last one wins.
Your dns domain name is not 'HOME', that is your windows
workgroup/domain name, replace it with 'home.red'
remove the 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' line, it belongs in
/etc/bind/named.conf.options as a forwarder.

> The bind9 config is not setted, because i did some tests on my work
> with a configured bind9 server and the result was the same, then i've
> not tried to set a better configuration:
> include "/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf";
> include "/etc/bind/rndc.key";
>
> controls {
>         inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
>         allow { 127.0.0.1; 192.168.1.100; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
> };
>
> options {
>         directory "/var/local/cache/bind";
>         allow-new-zones yes;
>         transfers-in 500;
>         empty-zones-enable yes;
>         //forwarders { 8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4; };
>         recursion yes;
>         //allow-transfer {"none";};
>         allow-query { any; };
>         allow-recursion { any; };
>
>         dnssec-validation auto;
>
>         auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
>         listen-on-v6 { any; };
>
>         rate-limit {
>                 #window 5;
>                 #log-only yes;
>         };
> };
>
> zone "." {
>         type hint;
>         file "/etc/bind/db.root";
> };

OK, put the bind9 config files back to what they were.
change /etc/bind/named.conf to match this:

include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.default-zones";
include "/var/lib/samba/private/named.conf";

NOTE: you will probably have to change the last line because you have
compiled samba4 yourself

change /etc/bind/named.conf.options to match this:

options {
         directory "/var/cache/bind";

         // If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         // to talk to, you may need to fix the firewall to allow multiple
         // ports to talk.  See http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/800113

         // If your ISP provided one or more IP addresses for stable
         // nameservers, you probably want to use them as forwarders.
         // Uncomment the following block, and insert the addresses
replacing
         // the all-0's placeholder.

         forwarders { 8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4; };
         //      0.0.0.0;
         // };

//========================================================================
         // If BIND logs error messages about the root key being expired,
         // you will need to update your keys.  See
https://www.isc.org/bind-keys
         dnssec-validation no;

         auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
         listen-on-v6 { any; };
         tkey-gssapi-keytab "/var/lib/samba/private/dns.keytab";
};

Again, you will have to change the 'tkey-gssapi-keytab' line.

The above is taken from my working machine.

> In the client machine i've configured as DNS the Samba server

Good