[Samba] Question about domain name with BIND9_DLZ

Daniel Carrasco Marín danielmadrid19 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 05:11:22 MDT 2015

Hi, first of all i'm sorry for my english.

I'm doing some tests to migrate a Samba3 domain to Samba4 with BIND9_DLZ,
but the Domain name in Windows information is not correct. Is not a problem
because all works as expected, but i wan't to know if i'm doing something
wrong that can cause problems in future.

I've done the tests with this command:

samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --realm=home.red --domain=HOME
--adminpass="Pass" --server-role=dc --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ
If i use the samba internal backend then the Domain Name in Windows is
right (HOME) and machine don't change (machine), but if I use the BIND9_DLZ
backend then the domain name is changed (home.red) and the machine name too
(machine.home.red).

Samba version is 4.2.1 stable compiled from git, and bind is the 9.9.7
compiled from source.
I've used this options to compile:
Samba
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/samba --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
--with-winbind

Bind:
./configure --with-gssapi=/usr/include/gssapi --with-openssl=/usr
--enable-largefile --with-dlopen=yes --sysconfdir=/etc/bind
--bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --enable-threads --enable-rrl

and of course i've included the link to "include
"/usr/local/samba/private/named.conf";" in BIND9 named.conf, and i've
uncommented the right version in that file.
The command "smbclient -L localhost -U%" shows the right info.

I'm doing something wrong?.
Can be problematic on future?.
Is there any way to fix it?.

Thanks!!