[Samba] Registering Windows 2012 impossible into samba4 after migration

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 15 02:26:36 MDT 2015

On 15/04/15 08:49, jean-yves boisiaud wrote:
> hello,
>
> our new samba4 is an ADS. The domain format is like samdom.example.com.

>> Hello again,
>> waht kind of domain ? nt-style? Or ads?
>> As I can tell I could not register a windows 2012 Server in an nt-style
>> domain with  xxx.yyy domain name.
>>
>> Greetings
>> Daniel
>>

>> EDV Daniel Müller
>>
>> Leitung EDV
>> Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
>> Paul-Lechler-Str. 24
>> 72076 Tübingen
>> Tel.: 07071/206-463, Fax: 07071/206-499
>> eMail: mueller at tropenklinik.de
>> Internet: www.tropenklinik.de

I take it that this isn't something obvious like the time being
different between the computers, or you trying to join the 2012 machine
as a DC. Marc wrote a couple of pages on the samba wiki that may help:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2012_/_2012_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Client_to_a_Domain

Whilst I have never had to upgrade an NT-4 style PDC, I thought it was
just basically like creating a new domain with the SID from the old
domain and importing all the users & groups from the old domain. What
you ended up with, was a new AD domain that was based on the old NT-4
PDC and your clients didn't notice the difference. I also thought that
there shouldn't be any difference between a newly provisioned domain and
an upgraded domain, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference (you
can actually, but this is only because the upgrade process adds the
un-required  posix objectclasses), so if you are just trying to join
your 2012 computer as a client and it wont, then there must be something
going on, especially if you are trying to join the computer in the same
way that you previously joined one to a new samba4 AD.

Rowland