[Samba] Trust relationship fails after classicupgrade

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Apr 14 00:59:47 MDT 2015

Hai Timo,

To overcome the same problem, im doing the following.

The old samba 3.4-3.6 based on ldap ( same here debian lenny/squeeze ), im keeping intact.
The new samba 4 AD domain, has (policy based) drive mappings to the old domain.
Im having 2 domains now, a bit more work, but zero down time.

The new domain has a new domainname, new sid, all is new created, because i just dont want old
references in my new domain. This also save you from "strange" problemens in samba 4.
And after 8 Years, a new clean domain can be nice..

I've exported all my users (without password) and imported them in samba 4.
First time at login, users must set the same password as on the old server.
and now you can map a user to OLDDOMAIN\%username% in the policies to get the shares on the old server.

And now i can change slowly my computers, so everyone is getting a new clean setup.
server and computer profiles, all nicely and clean.. yes more work now, but in the long run, less.
when all users, groups computers, policies etc are done, then im migriting the servers.
in the end, im only migrating 2 server, my file server, and my database server.
these i cant reinstall, all others are clean installed.

This is just a suggest, and yes for now more work, but it will pay back in the long run.

Greetz,

Louis