[Samba] smbclient 4.0.7 resolves host name to IP address for SMB2 but not NT1

Tompkins, Michael Michael.Tompkins at xerox.com
Fri Apr 10 12:15:31 MDT 2015

We are having issues with smbclient 4.0.7 not working to clusters, because it's resolving the host name ( 'default service = dev3k1.my.domain.com' in smb.conf file ) to an IP address using SMB2, but does not do it if is uses NT1( our desired behavior ).

Is there a way to turn off resolving the hostname in either the smb.conf file or as a command line option to smbclient using SMB2/3 ?

Mike Tompkins