[Samba] How can I have new users/groups to include posixAccount/posixGroup schema automatically?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 9 14:34:28 MDT 2015

On 09/04/15 21:17, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Rowland Penny!

>>> No. smbldap-tools were doing exactly the same as AD do: kept all users in one
>>> database.
>>>
>> Similar, but not the same, with smbldap-tools you had Unix and ldap
>> users,
> If you want to put it that way...
>
>> with Samba4 AD,
> ...I have Unix and AD users.
>
>> just like windows AD, you just have AD users.
> No.

Lets put it this way, you cannot have a local Unix user and an AD user
with the same name.

>>> I never had separate unix users ever (aside from one user - myself, but that
>>> was more of a requirement of OS installation process).

>>> Already.

>>> Time-consuming, requires available Win7 machine. In short - not an option.

>>> Doesn't work, as evidently demonstrated recently in the list.

>>> The problem with any homemade script is that it isn't portable, and only go as
>>> far, as the script writer's understanding of the things at hand.
>>> My personal understanding of the AD schema is very limited. I could throw
>>> something together, but in reality, I'd rather not do anything like that
>>> myself.
>>>
>>> All that being said, I see the situation as very disturbing. The lack of the
>>> very basic, essential tools to manage user/group creation... I'm speechless.
>>>

>> The user tools are there, they are mostly on windows though.
> Can you list some of them?
> RSAT is not an option - the only Win7 Pro system at work is a render farm that
> have its own work to do, than to let me twitch the checkboxes in some
> overloaded GUI.

If you only have access to one windows domain machine, why are you
running an AD domain, you would probably be better of running NFS

I am coming to believe that you want everything handing to you on plate,
i.e. you don't really want to help yourself, you want everybody to do
your work for you.

Rowland