[Samba] How can I have new users/groups to include posixAccount/posixGroup schema automatically?

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Thu Apr 9 12:41:55 MDT 2015

Greetings, Rowland Penny!

> well tough, the smbldap-tools were written to do a job, map windows
> users to unix users and vice versa.

No. smbldap-tools were doing exactly the same as AD do: kept all users in one
database.

> So what you need now is something to do the same, except you don't have
> separate Unix users any more,

I never had separate unix users ever (aside from one user - myself, but that
was more of a requirement of OS installation process).

> just users in AD who can also be Unix users.

> If you want your Unix users to have the same IDs everywhere, you need to
> use the RFC2307 attributes,

Already.

> at the moment, how the attributes get into AD is up to you, use ADUC,

Time-consuming, requires available Win7 machine. In short - not an option.

> samba-tool

Doesn't work, as evidently demonstrated recently in the list.

> or write your own scripts.

The problem with any homemade script is that it isn't portable, and only go as
far, as the script writer's understanding of the things at hand.
My personal understanding of the AD schema is very limited. I could throw
something together, but in reality, I'd rather not do anything like that
myself.

All that being said, I see the situation as very disturbing. The lack of the
very basic, essential tools to manage user/group creation... I'm speechless.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...