[Samba] New Samba4 AD - "Logon failure: user account restriction"

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 9 12:42:35 MDT 2015

On 09/04/15 19:18, John E.P. Hynes wrote:
> On 04/09/2015 01:21 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> There are no old accounts, either user or computer.  The newly created
>>> accounts can be logged into from "box1" but not "box2".
>>>
>>> Comparing the machine accounts, they are identical.  Also, just for
>>> giggles, I unjoined/rejoined the "not log-in-able" box manually, and it
>>> *still* didn't work.  Same error.
>>>
>>> Nothing in the samba logs at all.  One box works fine, now two others
>>> don't.  Using the accounts with smbclient on the server also works fine.
>>>
>>> I'm really at a loss here.  All clients are windows 7, Samba version is
>>> the latest that comes with Ubuntu 14.04.
>>>
>>> It looks like it must be on the windows side, since Samba allows logins
>>> from one of the clients, just not the rest.  What debug options should I
>>> try on Samba to watch the credential verification process just to be
>>> sure though?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> -John
>> Add 'log level = passdb:5 auth:5 winbind:5' to smb.conf and then restart
>> samba, this should give you plenty of output to look at, you can change
>> the numbers to get more or less output i.e. anything between 0 to 10.
>> See 'man smb.conf' for more info.
>>
>> Rowland
>>
> OK, so after looking at a bunch of debug logs...
>
> The machine account is locked, UseAccountControl flags are 0x4144 for
> the machines that don't allow logon, and 0x1000 for those that do.
>
> It doesn't seem you can manipulate these through Windows (errors out
> that the server rejected the change) so I guess the next two questions are:
>
> 1) How do I edit these with samba-tool?
> 2) How the heck did they end up "wrong" like this right out of the box?
>
> Any ideas appreciated.
>
> -John

OK, my computer accounts all have this:

userAccountControl: 69632

Which is made up from:

65536 DONT_EXPIRE_PASSWORD
04096 WORKSTATION_TRUST_ACCOUNT

So you could try using ldbmodify on the samba DC to change this.

Create an ldif file, /tmp/computer

dn: CN=computername,CN=Computers,CN=Users,DC=example,DC=com
changetype: modify
replace: UserAccountControl
UserAccountControl: 69632

Don't forget to alter the top line to your settings.

Now use this ldif and ldbmodify to change the attribute:

ldbmodify -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb /tmp/computer

Again if sam.ldb isn't in /var/lib/samba/private , then change the path,
also note that this needs to be done as root.

Rowland