[Samba] Windows 10 + Domain Join + Samba 3.x + Profile V5

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Apr 8 05:16:12 MDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-04-08 at 10:18 +0200, EnoSupp wrote:
> Hello
> I try to add a windows 10 client to a existent samba 3 domain.
> I have installed a windows 10 build 10049 with all Updates.
> On the windows client I added/modified the following Registry Keys that
> I can join to to the Samba 3 Domain.
> HKLM->System->CCS->LanmanWorkstation->Parameters
> DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0
> DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
> On the Samba Server I created the Folder Profile.V5.
> On the Client I added the Registry key for the Profile Path Extension:
> HKLM->System->CCS->ProfSvc-> Parameters->UseProfilePathExtensionVersion =1
> After these steps I am able with a domain user to do the logon to my
> domain, but windows creates just a
> temporary profile for the user.
> The only error from the user login I can see in the Event log is:
> Source: User Profile Service
> Error: the specified path is invalid.
> It is not possible to see which path it is.
> The same works with a windows 8.1 without any issues.
> Do sombody have any suggestions?

Upgrade your domain to Active Directory [Samba4].  Not meaning to be
snarky, but (a) it is easy to do and (b) you are fighting a doomed
battle to keep things working, NT domains are now more than a decade
past deprecated.  Life is much smoother on this side of the line.

Or if you disable roaming profiles does the message go away?  Do you
have the very latest Samba3 version?

I doubt Windows 10 + S3-as-NT gets much testing.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383