[Samba] winbind authentication for user [] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 6 03:19:10 MDT 2015

On 06/04/15 03:05, Shem Pasamba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to authenticate to a Samba file server version 3.6.6 which
> is joined to a samba AD version 4.1.17.  The problem is that I can't
> seem to login using smbclient -L //172.16.0.229/itdev -U shemgp tothe
> file server and the server displays the error:
>
> winbind authentication for user [shemgp] FAILED with error
> NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
>
> even if I use the correct password.  The client says:
> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> Here's my smb.conf on the file server:
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = AIIAS
>         realm = AIIAS.EDU
>         netbios name = INTRANET
>         server string = Intranet Gateway Server
>         security = ADS
>         pam password change = Yes
>         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>         passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
>         map untrusted to domain = Yes
>         syslog = 0
>         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>         max log size = 1000
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>         dns proxy = No
>         wins server = 172.16.0.245
>         usershare allow guests = Yes
>         panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>         template homedir = /home/users/%U
>         winbind cache time = 100
>         winbind enum users = Yes
>         winbind enum groups = Yes
>         winbind use default domain = Yes
>         winbind nss info = rfc2307
>         winbind refresh tickets = Yes
>         winbind offline logon = Yes
>         idmap config AIIAS:schema_mode = rfc2307
>         idmap config AIIAS:range = 30000-999999
>         idmap config AIIAS:default = yes
>         idmap config AIIAS:backend = rid
>         idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
>         idmap config * : backend = tdb
>         invalid users = root
> [itdev]
>         comment = IT Development Docs
>         path = /space/shares/itdev
>         valid users = itdirector, glenson, shemgp
>         force group = f_itdev
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0770
>         directory mask = 0770
>
> Is there any thing wrong with my setup?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> All the best,
>
> Shem Pasamba

OK, try changing the global part of your smb.conf to this:

[global]
         workgroup = AIIAS
         realm = AIIAS.EDU
         netbios name = INTRANET
         server string = Intranet Gateway Server
         security = ADS
         syslog = 0
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 1000
         dns proxy = No
         wins server = 172.16.0.245
         usershare allow guests = Yes
         template homedir = /home/users/%U
         template shell = /bin/bash
         winbind cache time = 100
         winbind enum users = Yes
         winbind enum groups = Yes
         winbind use default domain = Yes
         winbind refresh tickets = Yes
         winbind offline logon = Yes
         idmap config AIIAS:range = 30000-999999
         idmap config AIIAS:backend = rid
         idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
         idmap config * : backend = tdb
         invalid users = root

The users ID is calculated using this formula:

ID = RID - BASE_RID + LOW_RANGE_ID

The BASE_RID is 0 unless set in smb.conf, so this becomes:

ID = RID - 0 + 30000

Which means (unless you have changed samba4) that your first AD user
should be 31000

So, after making the suggested changes, what does 'getent passwd shemgp' ?

Rowland