[Samba] Member server - winbind unable to resolve users/groups

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Sun Apr 5 06:56:43 MDT 2015

El 05/04/15 a les 14:25, Rowland Penny ha escrit:

> Well yes, but I wanted to show the OP the relation between what the
> uidNumber attribute holds and the range set in smb.conf. If what I
> propose works (and I sure it will), I would have then advised the OP to
> reset Domain Users back to 513, but I would also have pointed out that
> you now cannot have *ANY* local users or groups!

Why not? 1-499 can still be local groups, as can be gids > 50000

> I would also have pointed out that the lowest uid on Debian/Ubuntu, that
> is not a system user, is 1000, so using the range '500-50000' is not a
> good idea.

It is if you already have users with those uids. Not everybody can start
fresh. When I started using linux and samba many years ago, the
distribution I used had 500 as the lowest uid (e.g. my uid is 500) and
it's not practical to change the ownership of the more than 3 millions
files I have.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti