[Samba] sssd-ad cannot be installed with sernet samba

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 3 03:09:43 MDT 2015

On 02/04/15 22:54, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Harry Jede!
>
>>> You can recommend whatever you like, the reality is that there's no
>>> spare hardware is coming my way alongside your recommendations.
>>> And I've been bitten by virtualization one time too many already to
>>> feel reluctant to implement it in production.
>>> Just check the last thread I started.

>>> I can't see, how it can make a difference, if I'm setting winbind on
>>> DC or a member server.
>>
>> OK. You dont understand it. winbind exists in two incarnations. winbind on
>> samba dc, version 4.0.x and 4.1.x, winbindd (with two d) on all other samba versions.
> I have same Samba version on both, so, doesn't apply.
>
>>> The information is coming from same place -
>>> from AD.
>>
>> Simply false. Read the docs.
>> Information may be stored in AD, passwd db, nis, idmap.ldb or computed on
>> the fly. Sometimes you have two stores at the same time.
> Where information MAY come from is irrelevant.
> I told you, where it is coming from in my case.
>
>>> What makes it behave differently, if set on different
>>> server?
>> Different approaches for the same thing!!
>> Mapping M$ identities to posix identities could be quite complex.
> I set the same program in the same fashion on two OS installations of the same
> version - and suddenly it behave differently, depends on the server it runs
> on, the phase of the moon and the height of snow cover on Alaska?
> See above, I can compress this phrase into one word, starting with "b". And
> that would not be a "bug".

OK, from what you have posted, I am surmising that you are using samba
4.2.0, in which case you will be using winbindd on all samba servers.
Now, whilst winbindd is in use on all servers, it is used differently
depending on what the server is. If it is a DC, the samba daemon is
started and then this starts the smbd & winbindd daemons, unfortunately,
it would appear that not all the links are there to use all that
winbindd could provide. This means whilst you get the uidNumber & the
primarygroupid, you do not get anything else, this is not a bug, it is a
lack of a feature.

On a member server, you do not use the samba daemon, you start the smbd,
nmbd & winbindd daemons, with this setup, you get all possible rfc2307
attributes.

By default, winbindd does not enumerate users & groups, so whilst
'getent passwd' will only show local users, 'getent passwd <a domain
user>' should show the info for the user. However, before this will
work, a couple of things have to be done, you need 'winbind' in the
passwd & group lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf, you also need to have
'libnss_winbind.so.2' in the correct place for your distro.

Rowland