[Samba] sssd-ad cannot be installed with sernet samba

Andrey Repin anrdaemon at yandex.ru
Thu Apr 2 11:02:31 MDT 2015

Greetings, Rowland Penny!

>>> nss/winbind does work, yes, there is 1 missing file, just created it.
>>> ( and this is not needed on a DC ! )
>> So you are telling us that something that returns:
>> /bin/false
>>  when:
>> /bin/bash
>> is specified in the database is a piece of software that is working?
>>

> You only need a shell if you are logging into the DC and you shouldn't
> be, the samba wiki couldn't be much plainer, it is not recommended to
> use the DC as a fileserver!

You can recommend whatever you like, the reality is that there's no spare
hardware is coming my way alongside your recommendations.
And I've been bitten by virtualization one time too many already to feel
reluctant to implement it in production.
Just check the last thread I started.

> However, if you must use the DC as a fileserver, investigate the
> 'template' lines for smb.conf

I can't see, how it can make a difference, if I'm setting winbind on DC or a
member server. The information is coming from same place - from AD.
What makes it behave differently, if set on different server?

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...