[Samba] Samba 3 DC and Samba 4 AD DC - same subnet OK with different domain names?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Apr 1 14:11:04 MDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-04-01 at 08:01 -0400, John E.P. Hynes wrote:
> Subject says it all, really.  I would like to migrate to Samba 4/AD,
> but I'd like to use a user profile transfer tool to keep user
> profiles, even though I've set up new user accounts on a new AD DC.
> The tool requires both domains to be active to do the transfer, but
> since there are numerous warnings about what happens when a
> workstation sees an AD controller... I thought it better to ask anyone
> who's done this than to do something that might turn out to be a rash
> decision.
> Thoughts?

It is not about the domain *name*, it is about the domain SID.  If you
are migrating the new domain will take over the SID of the old domain
[oversimplified].

But if you are doing an A->B migration the profiles should "just work",
the path to the profiles can remain the same.  I've migrated a domain
and had no issue with user profiles; after all they are just a share
with some registry glop in them.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383