[Samba] Decent Performance

Udo Kaune uka at inet-hamburg.de
Sun Sep 7 08:38:28 MDT 2014

Am 07.09.2014 um 16:10 schrieb Gerald Drouillard:
> On 9/6/2014 5:10 PM, Udo Kaune wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to get some decent speed out of a vanilla Debian (Proxmox) box and
>> am running out of ideas. Basically I can exchange data at 110MB/sec (raw, nfs,
>> ftp) but not with Samba shares.
>>
>> I tried almost every samba tuning tip I could find to no avail. The only
>> optimisation left to smb.conf at the moment is debug level = 0. As one can see
>> the robocopy throughput is merely half of what would be expected.
>>
>> Any hints?
>>
> Can your network hardware support jumbo frames?  If so, you can enable it on the linux server:
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-centos-debian-ubuntu-jumbo-frames-configuration/
> Hopefully you can enable it on the workstation and switches.
>
> On windows clients you can also try SG TCP Optimizer from:
> http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
>
> What does you smb.conf look like?

Hi Gerald,

Good thought but I consider jumbo frames and ip stack tuning the topping if everything works ok. The smb.conf is basically empty, except for needed things of course. No tuning, no other peculiarities. I have a second box that is working ok, different m/b, same onboard nic, same samba version but pure Debian Wheezy and not Proxmox (on Wheezy). Have to dig that way...

Udo

--
Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie diese Mail drucken.
Please consider the environment before printing this mail.