[Samba] software deployment

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Tue Sep 30 04:19:35 MDT 2014

Hi Ryan,

> Both opsi and wapt look interesting. What deficiencies did you find in
> opsi that lead you develop wapt?

Before starting wapt developement, Opsi was actually the best solution
we found and actually was the one we used. Opsi also use the many of the
paradigms of apt-get (http repositories, package, signature, etc.).

The main downside of opsi, to my mind, is the language WINST for package
developement which is Opsi specific and has a steep learning curve. In
wapt we use plain python, which has plenty of documentation and API
available.

The consequence of WINST to my mind is slower packaging, and fast
packaging was the main objective when we started this project. On the
downside, WAPT is currently less featureful than Opsi, but we are
actively working on making it better everydays.

> Using Google Translate, I looked at the wapt site but didn't see a way
> to deploy a package to a group of machines. I'm guessing this is
> possible, more python?

Wapt started as a apt-get for windows which meant command line and all
:-). Now you can install a server with inventory and central management.

The windows server installation is quite straight forward (we have
worked hard to make it easy) and you shouldn't be stuck on any barrier
of entry except the French language. The linux server version actually
precedes the windows one (and has my preference), but we spend less time
polishing the setup. You can give it a try and if you need help don't
hesitate to ask on the mailing list
(http://lists.tranquil.it/listinfo/wapt), I'll be glad to answer.

Cheers,

Denis