[Samba] How to prevent users from changing their password?

Roel van Meer roel at 1afa.com
Mon Sep 29 08:20:06 MDT 2014

Hi list,

With Samba 4 in AD mode, how can I prevent users from changing their password?

I have a working samba 4 AD. I can, with the ADUC, set the "User cannot
change password" flag in the account options. However, I would like to be
able to do so without using the ADUC.

The other account options can be managed directly in LDAP, by setting the
USERACCOUNTCONTROL attribute mostly. However, according to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305144, this is not possible for the "User
cannot change password" flag.

So, is there a way to do this from linux?

If not, does anyone know about an Samba 4 user manager tool that can do
this, that I could look at?

I know that http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa746398.aspx has
some code examples, but I don't want to reinvent any wheels.

Thanks,

Roel