[Samba] debian wheezy with backports samba domain join FAIL ( BUG! )

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 29 08:17:06 MDT 2014

On 29/09/14 14:55, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai,
>
> After some testing i can confirm there is a bug in the debian backports samba. ( 4.1.11 the latest in backports )
>
> The first server setups up ok without any problem.
> When you want to join the second server, it says its al succesfull but dont be fooled... its not!
>
> non of the needed dns entries are created.  ( samba-tool drs showrepl ) gives WERR_BADFILE
> No hostname, aka :  no alias in _msdcs.internal.domain.tld no SRV records and no CNAME records,
> is found in the first AD server (bind9 dns was used)
>
> I redid my steps with a sernet-samba installation and then everything is created as it should.
>
> You have been warned!
>
> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Hi Louis, if you are sure the problem exists and it wasn't just a
one-off problem, then it should be easy to track down. I created a new
domain with wheezy & samba from backports, but the samba version at that
time was 4.1.9 and I have since upgraded to 4.1.11. I joined a second DC
when I created the domain and everything worked ok then and is still
working ok now.

Rowland