[Samba] Broken domain

Chris Alavoine chrisa at acs-info.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 05:51:12 MDT 2014

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me out here.

My 5 DC production domain (4.1.7 Ubuntu 12.04) is in a bit of a state.

I attempted an upgrade from 4.1.5 to 4.1.7 which appeared to work, but now
we have replication errors and am unable to add any new DNS entries. I am
now certain that we've fallen foul of the DomainDnsZones DeletedObjects
problem that I've been reading about in various posts on the lists.

My DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb files are now
between 3 and 4GB on each of the DC's. Doing an ldapsearch ( ldbsearch -H
DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=ESSENCE,DC=INTERNAL,DC=COM.ldb 'isDeleted=TRUE' dn )on
each DC returns a different number of objects ranging from 387000 down to
88000 on the FSMO DC. Almost all of these are stale isDeleted entries.

I am currently attempting a Bind migration on a test DC as this is toted as
a possible fix (any successes out there with this?).

A matter of note for the lists: When I originally provisioned my domain
(classic upgrade from Samba3) I created a new OU for Groups and moved all
groups into it, this is a mistake if you want to migrate to Bind as the
migration script needs CN=DnsAdmins to be in Users OU, if it isn't the
script errors. I moved DnsAdmins back to Users to get the script to
complete.

At present I'm holding the domain together with bits of string and sticky
tape - having to reboot one of my DC's every 30 mins just to keep things
ticking over.

I have tried many variations of joining a new DC to the domain but that has
failed, so my current plan is to create a test version of my FSMO DC using
BIND_DLZ (using a current snapshot of the FSMO DC) and get things to a
working state there, and then replace this on the production site and
re-join new DC's to rebuild things. Obviously, not best practice but I
can't think of any other way of getting things stable again.

I have tried manually editing the .ldb files but they are so inflated now
that any vim edits just time out and error.

Thanks,
Chris.

--
ACS (Alavoine Computer Services Ltd)