[Samba] net rpc rights grant on a standalone server

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sat Sep 27 12:02:06 MDT 2014

Hello Andrew,

Am 24.09.2014 um 22:43 schrieb Andrew Walker:
> I have a standalone samba server. I want to configure it so that the
> "admins" local unix group has the ability to view / close open files
> through compmgmt.msc. I assume that what I need to do is run "net rpc
> rights grant [username] SeDiskOperatorPrivilege".
> Is this the correct privilege?

I'm not sure about that. But you can revoke it, if it wasn't.

$ net rpc rights --help
Usage:
net rpc rights list
    View available/assigned privileges
net rpc rights grant
    Assign privilege[s]
net rpc rights revoke
    Revoke privilege[s]

If you increase the loglevel to 10 and do that operation, the privilege
should be logged.

> Can these commands be run on a standalone server?

Should be possible.

> What is the proper syntax for granting this privilege to a group
> rather than a user?

It's the same.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares_with_Windows_ACLs#SeDiskOperatorPrivilege

Regards,