[Samba] software deployment

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Thu Sep 25 12:12:08 MDT 2014

Hi Mourik,

> Just wondering: What are you guys using to deploy software on your
> windows (7) workstations within the samba4 AD?
>
> These are options I know of:
>
> * wpkg (but it seems it's development is not too active)
> * wpkg-gp using the group policies
> * www.opsi.org (Client Management System for Windows clients)
> * standard windows software deployment, but I think that's msi-only

I have used/tested all the above (and many others) in the past and
finaly I ended up re-developping an apt-get equivalent for handling
software deployment on windows (yes I know the NIH syndrom :-). The
result is Wapt-get (http://dev.tranquil.it/wiki/Wapt , warning French
only) licenced with gplv3.

If you are familiar with .deb packaging, you should feel at home.
Wapt-get is based on:

* an http repository with Packages index
* an agent installed on workstation with your certificate for package
validation and installation
* a package is a plain zip file (simpler than an "ar" of tarxz) with
signature (apk style) that is checked before installation, a control
file with package name, version and dependencies, and a setup.py file
that is executed during installation.
* a standard language (python) is used to script a setup.py file how the
package is installed (ie. you won't have to learn an extra cryptic xml
based scripting language :-). The shortest setup.py file is :

def install():
     run("firefox-setup.exe /s")

I use it currently on about 5000+ workstation and it scales properly (my
largest single install is about 1000 workstations on a single wapt
server VM).

If you are eager to test it, I would advise you to start with the
windows based wapt server which is easier to install, and then go with
the linux server which scales better. Your feedback is welcome! If there
is enough interest I'll translate the whole stuff in English earlier, it
is on the roadmap.

Hope this helps.

Denis

--