[Samba] Samba not working with sssd on CentOS 6.5

AndreiV andreiv3103 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 04:32:24 MDT 2014

> This is most probably a dns problem, try comparing the network files
> between the two versions, though the problem is usually the opposite way
> round.

I thought so too but the network config is identical on both servers (except
for the IP, of course). I did some samba debugging and I found something
interesting. On the CentOS 6.5 server:

Accessing with \\sambaserver works, the kerberos keytab is used to
autheticate the user.

When accesing with \\sambaserver_IP, samba never uses kerberos for
authentication, it tries to contact the domain server directly through LDAP
and it fails, because it has no way of accessing it.

On CentOS 7 however, when accessing by ip, it seems to use NTLM
authentication by default and that works. So it looks like that samba
version is the problem. Samba 4 handles access by IP differently by default.