[Samba] Samba not working with sssd on CentOS 6.5

AndreiV andreiv3103 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 23:07:09 MDT 2014

Well, it looks like I misunderstood how authentication in Samba works. I
thought that Samba uses the system level authentication system to
authenticate users.

It must be the fault of my CentOS 7 setup (I also have a CentOS 7 server set
up almost the same way) that works.

I installed a CentOS 7 minimal, joined it to the AD using realmd, installed
Samba, used exactly the same config file that I used for CentOS 6.5 (but
without the "kerberos method = secrets and keytab" setting) and this server
works correctly. I can access it with \\server or \\ip without any issues.

CentOS 6.5 doesn't have realmd in the repositories but I used the tools
"behind" realmd, created the same setup as on the CentOS 7 server, but it
doesn't work.

I think I am going to user the old setup on CentOS 6.5, the one relying on
winbind. Can winbind and sssd coexist?