[Samba] HyperV (win2012) storage on Samba4

Ata E Husain Bohra atahusain.b at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 18:38:52 MDT 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to expose a linux share via Samba4 to serve as a VM backing
store (storage) for HyperV VMs running on Win2012 R2 Standard server. The
system details are:

Intel(R) Xeon CPU.
64 bit operating system.

I'm not sure if SMB3 is fully supported by Samba 4(codebase corresponds to
"master" git branch). The VM deployment fails while trying to create *.vhdx
file; the error says:
"
The system failed to create disk; Incorrect function. (0x80070001).
"

Scanning samba logs it shows "not implemented function for FSCTL:
FSCTL_SET_INTEGRITY_INFORMATION". Looking at the mail archives, their was a
mail sometime mentioning ioctls/fsctls needs to be implemented to support
SMB3 (
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2013-September/095190.html).
As this mail is not very recent, I just want to check if this is still is a
road blocker.

Can anyone suggest if they have tried his sutff; does it work? Is latest
samba implementation supports exposing Linux shares to store/deploy HyperV
VMs

Thanks,