[Samba] getent passwd works but all wbinfo commands fail

rusking rusking at live.cn
Wed Sep 24 11:30:28 MDT 2014

hello.everyone.I am seeing a bizarre problem on one of my machines.  The
machine is running Samba 3.5.10-125 and is a member server in a Windows
Active Directory domain. getent passwd and getent group works just fine and
returns all users,and groups from the AD domain.  However, all wbinfo
commands (such as wbinfo -t or wbinfo -u) fail with the errors:
[root at testserver samba]# wbinfo -t
could not obtain winbind interface details!
could not obtain winbind domain name!
checking the trust secret for domain (null) via RPC calls failed
Could not check secret
[root at testserver samba]# wbinfo -u
Error looking up domain users
[root at testserver samba]# wbinfo -g