[Samba] Multicast DNS required?

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Tue Sep 23 16:40:35 MDT 2014

mDNS is also called Bonjour on Apple systems (or Windows system with
iTunes and such installed). This is used for something unrelated to
actual DNS. In Linux we have "avahi" that does the same thing. However,
a domain ending in ".local" can have issues due to zeroconf things
(printers, wireless TV's, etc) use that domain. In other words, never,
ever end a domain name in ".local". I use ".lan" for my domains. The
issue is common on older domains that have been upgraded dozens of
times. Even I had issues with it for a while. I do not believe Samba
needs mDNS/zeroconf support though.

You can read more on the matter at the link below. One of my clients (I
picked them up a few years ago) had a domain ending in ".local" and they
had begun using Apple devices (phones, iPads) and had all kinds of
issues due to the ".local" domain being used by them. Long story short,
I got lucky when their DC died and I got to do a new domain. Now
everything is as smooth as butter!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local