[Samba] Multicast DNS required?

James lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 13:34:45 MDT 2014

Hello,

     I noticed all my DC's have port 5353 closed. I'm using the internal
DNS and wasn't sure if multicast DNS must be enabled? I do not appear to
be having any DNS issues. My only concern is with the wiki on Multicast DNS.

"By default, mDNS only and exclusively resolves host names ending with
the |.local| top-level domain (TLD). This can cause problems if that
domain includes hosts that do not implement mDNS but can be found via a
conventional unicast DNS server. Resolving such conflicts requires
network configuration changes that violate the zero configuration
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_configuration_networking> goal."

Given my domain is 'domain.local'. I wasn't sure if I should find out
why the port is closed.  Thanks.

--
-James