[Samba] Samba3 on multiple networks, how to make it hand out the correct IP?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 13:25:36 MDT 2014

I think if you have two A (HOST) records the clients will do a DNS
lookup for the hosts, get all host entries list (but the order might
change), and use the  first one in the list.  At least this is how it
works for things like looking up web sites.  I am not sure if Windows
clients apply more thought to locating the nearest windows server
(unless it is tracking the number of hops.)

I think in larger environments, you would have separate DC's for each
site or network segment.

How is DHCP handled?    Could you have a separate DNS server allocated
for the wifi clients, and add the 10.* DNS entries. then the Samba
server could be configured as a DNS server for the wired connections only.

Maybe don't use Samba 4 as its the  DNS server at all.  I think if you
use BIND you can configure split DNS.