[Samba] Monitor Samba4 Best Practices

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Sep 23 12:03:43 MDT 2014

Hello James

Am 23.09.2014 um 19:17 schrieb James:
> Outside of running 'samba-tool drs showrepl' and examining
> 'log.samba'. How does one monitor the overall health of Active Directory
> or the Samba4 daemons? I currently have Nagios configured to monitor the
> servers themselves(ie. ping,ssh,swap etc). Thanks for any input.

you can use check_tcp to connect to the various tcp ports Samba listens
on: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_port_usage

And you can use other Nagios plugins like check_smb
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/System-Metrics/File-System/SMB/check_smb/details

I think there are also more scripts to check various services of AD.
Maybe they need to be adapted or rewritten, to run on a *nix machine,
instead Windows.

Regards,
Marc