[Samba] smbd doesn't start anymore

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 23 07:59:06 MDT 2014

On 23/09/14 14:36, Bruno MACADRÉ wrote:
> [...]
>    bind interfaces only = yes
>

>    # Tunning
>    strict locking = No
>    strict sync = No
>    sync always = No
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
> SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>    lanman auth = No
>    lm announce = No
>    ea support = No
>
>    kernel oplocks = yes
>    read raw = yes
>    write raw = yes
>
>    max xmit = 65535
>    dead time = 15
>    getwd cache = yes
>
>    invalid users = root morpheus
>
>    case sensitive = yes
>
>    registry shares = Yes
>

> I hope it would be usefull
>
> Le 23/09/2014 15:08, Gaiseric Vandal a écrit :
>> Was this after any system reboot, system crash, system update?
>>
>> What OS?  If this is linux, is SELinux enabled?
>>

>> On 09/23/14 09:03, Bruno MACADRÉ wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>     I've a really big problem with my SAMBA 4.1.11 production
>>> server.... it doesn't want to start smbd anymore.... nmbd starts
>>> fine but not smbd.
>>>
>>>     I've tried to start smbd in interactive mode to see what's
>>> happened :
>>>
>>>     # /srv/progs/samba4/sbin/smbd -i -d9
>>>
>>>     produce a lot of lines about configuration (all fine), some last
>>> lines are :
>>>
>>> added interface lo ip=::1 bcast=
>>> netmask=ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff
>>> added interface lo ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 netmask=255.0.0.0
>>> added interface bond0 ip=10.130.162.20 bcast=10.130.162.255
>>> netmask=255.255.255.0
>>> loaded services
>>> Netbios name list:-
>>> my_netbios_names[0]="FILZEN"
>>> fcntl_lock 9 6 0 1 1
>>> fcntl_lock: Lock call successful
>>> Attempting to register passdb backend smbpasswd
>>> Successfully added passdb backend 'smbpasswd'
>>> Attempting to register passdb backend tdbsam
>>> Successfully added passdb backend 'tdbsam'
>>> Attempting to register passdb backend wbc_sam
>>> Successfully added passdb backend 'wbc_sam'
>>> Attempting to register passdb backend ldapsam
>>> Successfully added passdb backend 'ldapsam'
>>> Attempting to register passdb backend NDS_ldapsam
>>> Successfully added passdb backend 'NDS_ldapsam'
>>> Attempting to register passdb backend IPA_ldapsam
>>> Successfully added passdb backend 'IPA_ldapsam'
>>> Attempting to find a passdb backend to match tdbsam (tdbsam)
>>> Found pdb backend tdbsam
>>> pdb backend tdbsam has a valid init
>>> check lock order 1 for
>>> /srv/progs/samba4/var/lock/smbXsrv_version_global.tdb
>>> release lock order 1 for
>>> /srv/progs/samba4/var/lock/smbXsrv_version_global.tdb
>>>
>>> After this last line, it stop writing anything and wait
>>> indefinitely...... but there's no listenning socket opened so the
>>> daemon never listen and never be used....
>>>

>>> Is there a way to get more informations about why my smbd doesn't

>>> Regards,
>>> Bruno

<SIGH> doesn't anybody read the smb.conf manpage ??

Quite a lot of what you have in your global section should only be in a
share and quite a lot of these are the defaults anyway!
Please don't use the  'socket options' line, the reason why is in the
manpage.

There is also one mistake (unless it is a typo), 'idmap config
SAMDOM:schema = rfc2307' should be 'idmap config SAMDOM:schema_mode =
rfc2307'

Rowland