[Samba] Element not found error

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon Sep 22 12:06:26 MDT 2014

Hello Brian,

Am 22.09.2014 um 19:48 schrieb Brian C. Huffman:
> I have a Samba 4.1.4 AD server and am trying to set up a file server as
> a member of the domain.
>
> Currently I'm using Samba 3.6.9 from the CentOS repository.
>
> I've followed this wiki:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares_with_Windows_ACLs

I didn't tried that with 3.6, when I wrote the documentation. Do you
have a change to re-try it with the latest 4.0 or better 4.1? Maybe some
else here on the list can say for sure, that it should work with 3.6, too.

> but when I try to make changes in the Security tab of Computer
> Management->System Tools->Shared Folders-Shares, I'm getting "An error
> occurred while applying security information to: \\SAMBA02\files -
> Element not found."  If I click continue, then I get "Unable to save
> permission changes on files (\\SAMBA02). Element not found."
>
> I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  Any suggestions?

My guess, without having seen any logs and configs:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_and_configure_file_shares_with_Windows_ACLs#SeDiskOperatorPrivilege

Regards,
Marc