[Samba] replace samba with windows7

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Mon Sep 22 10:21:27 MDT 2014

On 09/22/2014 10:04 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 20/09/14 23:55, steve wrote:

>>> Fairly standard windows thing, just connect to the share, once
>>> connected
>>> map a drive to it, ensuring it is set to reconnect at logon. Not
>>> sure of
>>> exact details. not near a windows machine at the moment, but I am
>>> sure a
>>> quick google will confirm the details.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>
>> Ah, OK, I see what you mean by link now. But that still doesn't get
>> the lines written in smb.conf I'm afraid. Someone just wrote about
>> dolphin and kde, but although there's a right click share to windows,
>> that still doesn't get anything written to smb.conf.
>>
>> Our 2003 cd is broken too. No idea if we're gonna get any change out
>> of microsoft on that one. I think that died with 2008.
>>
>> Anyway, gone midnight here. . .
>>
> OK, thinking sideways here, what is a samba share ? I think it is just
> the same as sharing a folder in windows, so what if:
>
> Setup a linux machine running samba, this gets you round the EULA limits.
> Create one share
> Create a share inside this share that anybody (or a list of users )
> can create a share in.
> Set the ACL's on this share from a windows machine
>
> Will this do what you are wanting to do ?
>
> Rowland

Since it has not been mentioned and since I do it daily, the command
below is for mapping, if it is needed. Maybe it will help somebody.

net use <drive> <path to share> <persistent:yes/no>
net use z: \\samba\shared /persistent:no
net sue z: \\samba\private /persistent:yes

Hope it helps. The persistent flag means it will remap even after a reboot.