[Samba] replace samba with windows7

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 22 08:04:39 MDT 2014

On 20/09/14 23:55, steve wrote:
> On 20/09/14 23:37, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> Sorry Rowland, we're being thick tonight. Could you spell the link
>>> thing out?
>>>
>>> Re: intelligent windows user. We tried setting up a user with home
>>> directory at /usr/local/samba/etc with write on smb.conf. Think of the
>>> Linux users here who can use vi here who have trouble with smb.conf.
>>> Imagine a windows user getting anywhere near a text editor, let alone
>>> type nonsense into a file...
>>>
>> Fairly standard windows thing, just connect to the share, once connected
>> map a drive to it, ensuring it is set to reconnect at logon. Not sure of
>> exact details. not near a windows machine at the moment, but I am sure a
>> quick google will confirm the details.
>>
>> Rowland
>
> Ah, OK, I see what you mean by link now. But that still doesn't get
> the lines written in smb.conf I'm afraid. Someone just wrote about
> dolphin and kde, but although there's a right click share to windows,
> that still doesn't get anything written to smb.conf.
>
> Our 2003 cd is broken too. No idea if we're gonna get any change out
> of microsoft on that one. I think that died with 2008.
>
> Anyway, gone midnight here. . .

OK, thinking sideways here, what is a samba share ? I think it is just
the same as sharing a folder in windows, so what if:

Setup a linux machine running samba, this gets you round the EULA limits.
Create one share
Create a share inside this share that anybody (or a list of users ) can
create a share in.
Set the ACL's on this share from a windows machine

Will this do what you are wanting to do ?

Rowland