[Samba] backup script problem with samba 4.0.10

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sun Sep 21 02:18:18 MDT 2014

Hello Elyad,

Am 21.09.2014 um 08:56 schrieb Elyad Alaei:
> To backup the samba database, I stop samba service at 2:00 AM every night
> and backup using samba_backup script and re-run samba4 service with the
> help of crontab. It could always create "samba4_private" file but "sysvol"
> and "etc" files were not created in some days! (both "etc" and "sysvol"
> files are created once in every 3 or 4 days)

The backup script shipped with the sources is really basic at the moment
(we really need something better :-)). But it should work everytime. If
not all archives are created, then you should try to debug what fails.

You can take out all >/dev/null 2>&1, and other things that suppress
messages and also run your cronjob with "bash -x samba_backup >
/tmp/log.txt 2>&1", to get all the output logged temporary.

But the script is able to hotbackup the databases. You don't need to
stop samba for it. But if you don't mind stopping samba anyway, why not
simply "tar --xattrs ...." your whole /usr/local/samba/. Then you have
everything. Important is just that you include the extended attributes.
So make sure, you use a tar version, that supports it.

Regards,
Marc