[Samba] replace samba with windows7

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Sep 20 14:31:21 MDT 2014

On 20/09/14 21:56, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 20/09/14 20:45, steve wrote:

>>> Hi Steve, wouldn't it just be easier to train one of the users how to to
>>> get to share on a samba machine and then get that user to train the
>>> others ?
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>
>> Hi Rowland
>> Yes, we gave one of the users the root password. Never _ever_ do this.
> That is a definite no-no, it is like giving them a loaded gun and
> telling them to never pull the trigger.
>
> What I meant was, train a intelligent user (if you can find one) how to
> navigate to the share via its address and then set up permanent link to
> it, this way it will always be there via something they can click on.
>
> Rowland

Sorry Rowland, we're being thick tonight. Could you spell the link thing
out?

Re: intelligent windows user. We tried setting up a user with home
directory at /usr/local/samba/etc with write on smb.conf. Think of the
Linux users here who can use vi here who have trouble with smb.conf.
Imagine a windows user getting anywhere near a text editor, let alone
type nonsense into a file...