[Samba] known bug in samba: Re: Winbind user/group name case change

Linda W samba at tlinx.org
Thu Sep 18 18:00:01 MDT 2014

Linda W wrote:
> Besides, if you have xfs, you can always set it to be case insensitive,
> which would solve the problem for most home directories (only ascii
> range, not utf8 which wasn't even around when xfs was designed).
----
Correction...

This may be fixed in  the near future ... with xfs being able to ignore
UTF-8 case, but preserve it.

Ben Myers wrote (2014/9/11):
> I'm posting this RFC on Olaf's behalf, as he is busy with other projects.

> Unicode/UTF-8 support for XFS

> If the borgbit (the bit enabling legacy ASCII-based CI) is set in the
> superblock, then case folding is added into the mix. This normalization
> form we call NFKDICF. It allows for the creation of case-insensitive
> filesystems with UTF-8 support.

---
On top of that, xfs's unicode will be based dynamically on the current
standard tables at:

cd fs/xfs/support/ucd
wget http://www.unicode.org/Public/7.0.0/ucd/CaseFolding.txt
wget http://www.unicode.org/Public/7.0.0/ucd/DerivedAge.txt