[Samba] known bug in samba: Re: Winbind user/group name case change

Alexander Werth werth at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Sep 18 08:44:14 MDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-09-14 at 18:52 -0700, Linda W wrote:
> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2014-September/102352.html

Ah right, that's how you properly cite older mails.

> Thanks for the forward...what I don't understand is this part of the
> message:
>
> Apparently an earlier attempt to always remove the enforced
> canonicalization to lower case had been rejected.
> ---
> How could doing something that would make samba more MS compatible be
> rejected?  I mean Ms has been doing it for ~14 years, and they haven't
> rolled
> over and died yet.... Why didn't (or shouldn't) samba follow suit BECAUSE
> of MS compatibility (case insensitive but preserving)?

I did dig through older commits and mails on samba-technical.
Apparently the problem with the enforced lower case is related to the
homedir parameter %U. Since 3.0.7 cached the reverse mapping sid->name
for name->sid lookups the entries in the cache didn't match the home
directory anymore and failed. By always enforcing lower case names this
had been worked around even for customers with existing cache entries.
At that time (2004) no problem was foreseen with this approach since
windows is case insensitive.
So just removing the enforced lower for everyone would mess up the home
directories for current users and also generate inconsistent output
until the winbind cache get's cleared.
But with a toggle to enable it in a controlled manner the winbind
preserve case should be save.

Cheers,
Alexander Werth