[Samba] Samba shares not refreshing in Windows after upgrade (list: mmuehlfeld at samba.org exclusive)

happy.inthehop at spamgourmet.com happy.inthehop at spamgourmet.com
Thu Sep 4 10:24:17 MDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Marc Muehlfeld - mmuehlfeld at samba.org
wrote:

> I can just guess, because you didn't provide much information, like your
> smb.conf, etc.
>
> Sorry I didn't include much.  I was focused on the upgrade.  Nothing
changed in the smb.conf and nothing changed on the Windows side.  Figured
it was some change in a default value or a package that was now necessary.

> My guess is the following:
> Default in Samba 3 was 'max protocol = NT1'. In Samba 4.1 it is 'max
> protocol = SMB3'. Maybe you have an SMB caching issue:

I tried NT1 and the share was no longer visible from Windows.  Seems to be
working with SMB3.

> http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/ff686200%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
>
> This fixed it.  The DirectoryCacheLifetime registry key did not exist on
any of the Windows machines on our network.  Once I added it and restarted
the view refreshed every time the share was accessed.  We've been using
these same machines for years and never had an issue until the upgrade.

> Regards,
> Marc
>
> Thank you so much!

Pat