[Samba] Samba4 and kadmin

Lars Hanke debian at lhanke.de
Tue Sep 16 09:39:18 MDT 2014

I found several howtos even on official Samba resources, which use
kadmin to obtain keytabs. There's also a patch to implement this
interface dating back about 10 years. However, my DC seems to reject
connections:

root at my_ad_dc:/# kadmin
kadmin> list *
kadmin: connect(my_ad_dc.domain.example.com): Connection refused
kadmin: failed to contact my_ad_dc.domain.example.com
kadmin: kadm5_get_principals: Operation failed for unspecified reason
kadmin>

Interestingly the error description is different when using MIT from remote:

root at a_client:~# kadmin -p Administrator
Authenticating as principal Administrator with password.
kadmin: Database error! Required KADM5 principal missing while
initializing kadmin interface

Is it required to enable this interface by some option? At least the
string kadmin does not appear in man smb.conf.

Could you share any experiences?